Freeshells.org absolutely does not help users configure the software in their accounts. It is expected of you to have the skills and knowledge to maintain your account and software. In the event you would like a custom configuration and account management we will do so for a $15 one time fee.
That being said, if there is an issue with the server configuration or something is not right with the server that we provide, feel free to submit a ticket.
Here are some of the most common issues that i am asked repeatedly….
Problem 1 – My SSH Login does not work:
- You can log in to the control panel located at https://war.freeshells.org:8080 and create, rename, and change the password of your shell account using the web interface. If you have a paid account, the correct url is https://super.freeshells.org:8080
- You tried the wrong password too many times and now the firewall is blocking you. You must now wait 1 hour, sorry.
- 90% of the time a user complains that their SSH login does not work, it does in fact work and the problem is existing between the keyboard and chair (pebkac). Please ensure that you are logging in at the correct place with the correct SSH Login details that are sent in the welcome email with the subject of ‘Shell Login Details’
Problem 2 – I lost my password and cant reset it (or i changed it and cant log in now):
- We disabled password resets in ISPConfig, so of course you cant reset it. You must submit a ticket to have it changed, and we most likely will just resend the original welcome email.
- If you changed your ISPConfig Password through WHMCS, and now you are locked out of ISPConfig your password did not meet the security requirements. Please repeat the password change with a longer, 8 character password that has at least one number and symbol.
Problem 3 – All my stuff keeps getting killed
- Well, we probably meant it when we said free users get 1 irc connection and you cant use too much cpu or ram, run any game servers, shoutcast, irc servers, etc. Its not our fault users like to try anyway, so we simply implemented methods to prevent it automatically. If you don’t like it, upgrade to get on super.freeshells.org and your problem is solved.
- We may have marked your account as fraud, which is very common. Any client who registers an account with us, paid or free, is required to give us their real name, address, and phone number which we sometimes do attempt to verify. We also check the geographic location of the ip in relation to the billing information and if there is not a match, we will remove the account by marking it as fraud. We also check for users connecting from VPN services, proxies, and TOR and remove any accounts created from non-residential IP addresses. Clients who have an account marked as fraud are not welcome to sign up again, even after correcting their information.
- Your account may have been removed for inactivity, try signing up again with your email and seeing if you have an account on record in the billing panel. It will show the status of any account.
- In the event a malicious user actually reads this FAQ wondering why their account is gone, it may have been deleted due to malicious activities.
A: The username and password sent in the welcome email are for your SSH login. Those are the only details that will work for you to SSH to the server. All the information you need is in that email.
A: You can use ssh.freeshells.org, or 220.127.116.11. for mail you can use mail.freeshells.org.
A: Yes, freeshells.org allows eggdrops, psybnc’s, znc, and other bouncer/irc software to be run in the background. We do not allow IRC Servers, Game servers, shoutcast, or Commercial (for a profit) software to be ran on our free server.
A: You can use your own domain, sub domain, or a free domain from dns providers such as freenom or afraid.org. You can also use your own domain for email only if you wish. Simply point your domain to our main ip. You can even put a totally made up domain like ‘halsdfgba.com’ if you wish.
A: This is the way ispconfig works, and we cant change it. Creating the website creates your home directory, and you
Must have a home directory to have a shell account.
A: In the event you forget your password you cannot reset it. You must submit a ticket in the billing system. If you do manage to change your password through the billing system, it may not work if it does not meet ISPConfig’s security requirements and lock you out of ISPConfig.
A: We do have backups, but they are not for the users. In the event of a server catastrophe the server will be restored to the last good backup unless we want to upgrade to a newer version of debian. Your account may or may not be intact.
A: Yes, just pm me via irc or via a ticket and I will. There are some packages I will not install such as java. Most packages can be installed locally and if you wish to do this, go right ahead. hint: ./configure –prefix=$HOME